Friday, March 11, 2011

Spa Day

We've been pretty absent from the 8 plex since October.  It's a case of the squeaky wheel gets the grease.  Our attention has been on getting Mom's house ready for our daughter and working on one of the vacancies in the four-plex.  This combined with relatively few maintenance issues this winter, we just haven't been over there very much. 

Then, last week, Jana tells us that she's rented #8.  It's been vacant since July and we'd already painted, shampooed carpets, replaced window blinds etc.  I thought it was ready to rent - until it was actually rented.  Then we looked again with a critical eye.  Yikes!  Our walk through on Saturday yielded a long to-do list. 

I spent last Saturday afternoon in the tub.  It wasn't a spa-day, however.  I was scraping grout - except it wasn't grout.  It was more of that blasted rock-hard putty* - my Dad's favorite cure-all.  This stuff does not scrape out.  I spent hours and still didn't completely win. I even tried our nifty little multi-tool that has a jiggly little saw-blade kind of thing. 

I was back in the tub on Sunday with caulk.  It doesn't look great, but it's water tight, and that's the biggest thing.  I also replaced the doorbell and the latch on the storm door, installed the smoke detector, measured for window screens. 

Meanwhile Diego was under the sink.  Repairing the air gap, fixing the diverter to the sprayer, replacing the valve stems, replacing cabinet floor, and more.  I love him.  I feel like everything he does at the apartments is a tangible demonstration of his love for me.  He didn't ask for this but what a guy! 

**************

*Durham's Rock Hard Putty.  My Dad's answer any maintenance issue that requires filling a hole.  It is a fine yellow powder that you mix with water in a disposable cup.  Don't use too much water - keep it the consistency of peanut butter or maybe a bit looser, depending on the application.  You can cut it, sand it, and paint it, and if it's thick enough, you can mold it.  But be careful - it really does dry rock hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment