Thursday, September 26, 2013

And your little dog too - Part II

Unit 104 was vacant about three weeks.  The tenants left it clean, clean, clean.  However, we did need to do quite a bit of improvement work.

1.  Tore out the vinyl paneling surrounding the bathtub and replaced it with nice 13" tiles.
2.  Replaced the sliding door in the master bedroom with a 6' window. 
3.  Replaced the carpet - throughout! 

Three little bullets items that represented a big chunk of change and ended up taking about 3 weeks to coordinate and install.  (Thanks to Duane H, Gary K, and Paula in the flooring department at Big R). 

A few days later Rosie & Jesus moved in. 

Wednesday, Day 3 - we get word that there's water on the bathroom floor.  So I called Rosie.  It's not coming from the toilet, not coming from the sink, not coming from the shower, she says.  Hmmm.  We replaced the toilet - maybe the gasket between the tank and the bowl isn't tight enough?  I asked her to watch that for a day or so.  Friday - she says she still can't identify where it's coming from, so Dwight says he'll go over on Sunday afternoon.

When he got there he knocked on the door - no answer.  Rang the doorbell - no answer.  He opened the door an announced himself - no answer...well, no human answer. (is this starting to sound like deja vu?)  There was, however, a canine greeter.  A very enthusiastic, friendly pit bull puppy.  Did you hear me?  1 - A pit bull.  2 - a Puppy. 

When he told me I hit the roof!  Their lease says no pets, no dogs.  It even says "no visiting dogs!"  Not only that, I just paid for that carpet 5 days ago and they have a puppy roaming the apartment unrestricted?

Monday morning there was a strongly worded email in our property manager's inbox.  I was so frustrated and told her I wanted them "outta there!"  Seriously - less than a week on brand new carpet, with a brand new lease, they have a dog???

Jana (property manager) called to confront them.  The dog was not theirs, it was just visiting.  Jana reminded them of the lease they'd just signed that included 'no visiting dogs.'  She told them that the landlord wanted to evict them for breaking the lease. 

Rosie called me twice and left me a long voicemail that morning.  "It isn't our dog.  He was just visiting.  I'm sorry."  Blah, blah, blah.  I was not in a compassionate mood and had a really hard time believing she was telling the truth.  Visiting - HA!

Jana went over there that afternoon to see if the dog was still there.  Although no one was home, and there was no sign of the dog, the neighbors had seen and met the dog the day before and confirmed that it was, indeed, visiting. 

Dwight made me call Rosie that evening.  Ugh.  So, I called.  Rosie spent 10 minutes telling me how they messed up, they were wrong, please give us another chance, blah, blah, blah.  So then I said, "now you need to hear my side!  Jana made it very clear that this apartment is a no-dog-zone!  Including no visiting dogs.  You betrayed me - We were trusting you and you betrayed that trust.  Now, not only have you lost my trust, you let a puppy roam all over that new carpet.  And now the neighbors who saw the dog are going to think that if you have one, it must be okay." 

In the end I gave them another chance.  I felt, however, that it was important for her to understand just how serious we are.  I hope she knows that this was her one and only chance and that dog better not visit again. 

By the way, Dwight found the leak - a very small gap in the caulk in the corner where the shower door rail connects with the tub.  It only leaked when the water hit it directly and even then was pretty small.  Whew. 

No comments:

Post a Comment