Thursday, September 5, 2013

Gus - the Guinea Pig

Victor and Francesca were tenants in 102.  They were pretty good tenants, but got behind in their rent a few times.  They were behind again this in June. 

Saturday, July 13 - we found them moving out on Saturday morning.  So, we approach and ask "what's up?" 
"Jana's mean," they tell us.  What?  Jana (our fabulous property manager)  said they had to pay their rent and I guess that's mean. 
So, they're moving out.  But they promise to leave it clean because Franchesca used to work for Merry Maids.  Somehow that supposed to console me.

Oh yea, they also promised to pay us their back rent. 

Monday, July 15 - I check the apartment.
Dirty, cluttered, big TV in living room, furniture in both bedrooms with clothes!
The carpet in the hall was all clawed up by the puppy they had closed up in the bathroom!
Oh yea - and Gus, the guinea pig in the kitchen.  Sigh.

I ran to Safeway and picked up a guinea pig snack stick to hold him over, praying they were going to come back for him. 

I checked in on Gus every day with fingers crossed, hoping he'd be gone.  Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. Oh brother.  How am I going to get rid of Gus?  Thursday, Friday - nothing.  Saturday Victor and Franchesca show up!  "Yea," I'm thinking.  They took all the furniture, but when they left, Gus was still in the kitchen. 

Sunday, they show up again and I tell them I'll give them $100 of their deposit back if they come back and clean AND if they get the guinea pig.  I figure that it's going to cost me $100 to clean!

Three days later they call me to collect.  It's clean - really clean!  Merry Maids clean!  And, best of all, Gus is gone. 

Will we get our back rent?  I'm sure of it  - when guinea pigs fly!

No comments:

Post a Comment