Thursday, September 12, 2013

You want a good reference from me?

My phone rang two weeks ago - it was Francesca.  You remember Victor and Francesca:  Midnight Moveouts and the owner of Gus, the guinea pig? 

Yep, Francesca called to say that they had found a new place to live, but that our property manager had told their potential new landlord bad things about them. 

I knew immediately what the property manager had said. 
1.  They were behind in their rent
2.  They moved out without giving any notice
The facts speak for themselves, no need to be mean, vindictive, or nasty.  Just the facts. 

Francesca wanted to know if the new landlord could call me.  Frankly, I was a bit speechless for a moment.  She thought that since they'd left the apartment clean, that my memory was also wiped clean and I would give them a good reference. 

I said sure, I'd be happy to talk to that guy - have him give me a call.  I would certainly tell him that they'd left the apartment clean and I had happily given them $100 of their deposit back.  But, I would have to tell him the whole story.  They were behind in their rent and moved out without notice.

We had a very nice conversation and I closed by assuring her I would be happy to talk to her new landlord with the entire story.  That was two weeks ago.  Funny thing - I haven't heard a peep from Francesca or her new landlord! 

No comments:

Post a Comment